Mayo Clinic has been doing extensive research on POEMS syndrome for years. Although POEMS syndrome is rare, Mayo Clinic doctors see many people with this disease each year. This provides the opportunity to conduct research on underlying biology and to help improve diagnosis and treatment options.
Specific areas of research on POEMS syndrome include:
- Use of chemotherapy to destroy abnormal plasma cells that produce immunoglobulin and other chemicals that harm the body
- Development of quick-acting medications to prevent progressive organ damage
- Use of novel agents to improve response to treatment
- Development of methods for early diagnosis
- The role of stem cell transplant
See a list of publications by Mayo Clinic doctors on POEMS syndrome on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
Nov. 20, 2012