Ehlers-Danlos syndrome (EDS) includes a group of uncommon genetic disorders that mainly affect the joints, skin and walls of blood vessels.
Shortness of breath can be frightening. Most of the time, a heart or lung condition is the cause.
Tests and diagnosis
Even with today's high-tech medical devices, the basic chest X-ray remains an important tool in diagnosing various conditions. Here's a look at how it works.
A CT scan is an imaging test that uses X-rays to produce detailed images of the inside of your body.
Mar. 18, 2014
- Mason RJ, et al. Murray and Nadel's Textbook of Respiratory Medicine. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Nov. 12, 2013.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2014: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Nov. 12, 2013.
- Tintinalli JE, et al. Tintinalli's Emergency Medicine: A Comprehensive Study Guide. 7th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=40. Accessed Nov. 12, 2013.
- AskMayoExpert. Pneumothorax. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Light RW. Primary spontaneous pneumothorax in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 12, 2013.
- Light RW. Secondary spontaneous pneumothorax in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 12, 2013.
- Rosenow EC (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 15, 2013.