Signs and symptoms of a pneumothorax usually include:
- Chest pain. Sudden, sharp chest pain on the same side as the affected lung — this pain doesn't occur in the center of your chest under the breast bone. And it doesn't worsen when you breathe in and out.
- Shortness of breath. This may be mild or severe, depending on how much of your lung is collapsed and whether you have underlying lung disease.
When to see a doctor
See your doctor right away if you have sudden chest pain and trouble breathing. Many conditions other than pneumothorax can cause these symptoms, and most require an accurate diagnosis and prompt treatment. If your chest pain is severe or breathing becomes increasingly difficult, get immediate emergency care.
Apr. 05, 2011
- Light RW, et al. Pneumothorax, chylothorax, hemothorax and fibrothorax. In: Mason RJ, et al. Murray and Nadel's Textbook of Respiratory Medicine. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/192068760-2/0/1288/0.html. Accessed Jan. 26, 2011.
- Celli BR. Diseases of the diaphragm, chest wall, pleura and mediastinum: The pleura. In: Goldman L, et al. Cecil Medicine. 23rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/191371208-2/0/1492/0.html#. Accessed Jan. 26, 2011.
- Rosenow EC (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 31, 2011.
- Eckstein M, et al. Thoracic trauma: Pulmonary injuries. In: Marx JA, et al. Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05472-0..X0001-1--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-05472-0&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed Jan. 26, 2011.
- Legome E. General approach to blunt thoracic trauma in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Jan. 26, 2011.
- Light RW. Secondary spontaneous pneumothorax in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Jan. 26, 2011.
- Light RW. Primary spontaneous pneumothorax in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Jan. 26, 2011.