Women are at higher risk for placenta previa if they've had previous surgeries involving the uterus, such as:
- A C-section
- Surgery to remove uterine fibroids
- Dilation and curettage, though this presents a much lower risk
Placenta previa is also more common among women who:
May 09, 2014
- Have delivered at least one baby
- Had placenta previa with a previous pregnancy
- Are carrying more than one fetus
- Are age 35 or older
- Are of a race other than white
- Use cocaine
- Lockwood CJ, et al. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of placenta previa. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 27, 2014.
- Bleeding during pregnancy. American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/~/media/For%20Patients/faq038.ashx. Accessed Jan. 27, 2014.
- Lockwood CJ, et al. Management of placenta previa. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 27, 2014.
- Placenta previa. March of Dimes. http://www.marchofdimes.com/pregnancy/placenta-previa.aspx. Accessed Jan. 27, 2014.
- Cunningham FG, et al. Williams Obstetrics. 23rd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2010. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=46. Accessed Jan. 27, 2014.