If you have risk factors for placenta accreta during pregnancy — such as the placenta partially or totally covering the cervix (placenta previa) or a previous uterine surgery — your health care provider will carefully examine the implantation of your baby's placenta.
Techniques to help diagnose placenta accreta might include:
Mar. 28, 2015
- Imaging tests. Through ultrasound or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), your health care provider can evaluate how the placenta is implanted in your uterine wall.
- Blood tests. Your health care provider might test a sample of your blood for an otherwise unexplained rise in the amount of alpha-fetoprotein — a protein that's produced by the baby and can be detected in the mother's blood. Such a rise has been linked to placenta accreta.
- Wortman AC, et al. Placenta accreta, increta, and percreta. Obstetrics and Gynecology Clinics of North America. 2013;40:137.
- Creasy RK, et al. Placenta previa, placenta accreta, abruptio placentae, and vasa previa. In: Creasy and Resnik's Maternal-Fetal Medicine: Principles and Practice. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 3, 2015.
- Cunningham FG, et al. Placental abnormalities. In: Williams Obstetrics. 24th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2014. http://www.accessmedicine.com. Accessed Feb. 3, 2015.
- Resnik R. Clinical features and diagnosis of placenta accreta, increta, and percreta. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 4, 2015.
- Eshkoli T, et al. Placenta accreta: Risk factors, perinatal outcomes, and consequences for subsequent births. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2013;208:219e1.
- Resnik R. Management of placenta accreta, increta, and percreta. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 4, 2015.
- Legendre G, et al. Conservative management of placenta accreta: Hysteroscopic resection of retained tissues. The Journal of Minimally Invasive Gynecology. 2014;21:910.
- Relaxation techniques for health: An introduction. National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health. https://nccih.nih.gov/health/stress/relaxation.htm. Accessed Feb. 5, 2015.
- Wick MJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 19, 2015.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.