Placenta accreta is thought to be related to abnormalities in the lining of the uterus, typically due to scarring after a C-section or other uterine surgery. This might allow the placenta to grow too deeply into the uterine wall. Sometimes, however, placenta accreta occurs without a history of uterine surgery.
May. 24, 2012
- Resnik R. Diagnosis and management of placenta accreta. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed March 21, 2012.
- Weeks A. Diagnosis and management of retained placenta after vaginal birth. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed March 21, 2012.
- DeCherney AH, et al. Current Diagnosis & Treatment Obstetrics & Gynecology. 10th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2007. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=9. Accessed March 21, 2012.
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. Your Pregnancy and Childbirth Month to Month. 5th ed. Washington, D.C.: American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists; 2010:373.
- Silverman F, et al. Management of the third stage of labor. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed March 21, 2012.
- Jauniaux E, et al. Placenta accreta: Pathogenesis of 20th century iatrogenic uterine disease. Placenta. 2012;33:244.
- Marc I, et al. Mind-body interventions during pregnancy for preventing or treating women's anxiety (review). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD007559.pub2/abstract. Accessed March 26, 2012.
- Gielchinksy Y, et al. Placenta accreta - Summary of 10 years: A survey of 310 cases. Placenta. 2002;23:210.
- Wright JD, et al. Predictors of massive blood loss in women with placenta accrete. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2011;205:38.e1.
- Eller AG. Optimal management strategies for placenta accreta. BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology. 2009;116:648.
- Danforth's Obstetrics and Gynecology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Wolters Kluwer Health Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2008:1.
- Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine. Placenta accreta. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. 2010;203:430.
- Frequently asked questions. Special procedures FAQ 008. Hysterectomy. American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology. http://www.acog.org/~/media/For%20Patients/faq008.pdf?dmc=1&ts=20120326T1355412038. Accessed March 26, 2012.
- Gielchinksy Y, et al. Perinatal outcomes of pregnancies complicated by placenta accrete. Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2004;104:527.
- Harms RW (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 28, 2012.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.