Your Mayo Clinic care team
Mayo Clinic endocrinologists with expertise in pituitary disease coordinate a team to comprehensively evaluate your tumor and symptoms. Your team may include specialists from neurosurgery, neuro-ophthalmology, neuroradiology, head and neck surgery, radiation oncology, and other areas if needed.
Mayo Clinic was among the first institutions to extensively research an endoscopic through-the-nose (transnasal) surgical tumor removal technique that has now become standard practice. This method is highly successful, reduces discomfort and usually requires only an overnight stay in the hospital.
Mayo Clinic is one of the largest pituitary centers in the United States. Its surgeons are internationally recognized for their expertise in endoscopic transsphenoidal surgery and in using Gamma Knife stereotactic radiosurgery, fractionated radiation therapy or proton beam radiation to treat these tumors. Mayo Clinic endocrinologists are also leaders in the medical management of hormone-producing pituitary tumors and in pituitary hormone replacement therapy.
Aug. 12, 2017
- Pituitary tumors information page. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/pituitary_tumors/pituitary_tumors.htm. Accessed Sept. 10, 2015.
- Pituitary tumors. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/PituitaryTumors/DetailedGuide/index. Accessed Sept. 10, 2015.
- Snyder PJ. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of gonadotroph and other clinically nonfunctioning pituitary adenomas. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 10, 2015.
- Loeffler JS, et al. Radiation therapy of pituitary adenomas. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 10, 2015.
- Martinkova J, et al. Impulse control disorders associated with dopaminergic medication in patients with pituitary adenomas. Clinical Neuropharmacology. 2011;34:179.
- Pituitary tumors treatment — for health professionals. National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/types/pituitary/hp/pituitary-treatment-pdq#section/all. Accessed Sept. 11, 2015.