- Multispecialty team care. Mayo Clinic endocrinologists with expertise in pituitary disease coordinate a team to comprehensively evaluate your tumor and symptoms. Your team may include specialists from neurosurgery, neuro-ophthalmology, neuroradiology, head and neck surgery, radiation oncology, and other areas if needed.
- Experience and expertise. Mayo Clinic is one of the largest pituitary centers in the United States. Its surgeons are internationally recognized for their expertise in endoscopic transsphenoidal surgery and in using Gamma Knife stereotactic radiosurgery or fractionated radiation therapy to treat these tumors. Mayo Clinic endocrinologists are also leaders in the medical management of hormone-producing pituitary tumors and in pituitary hormone replacement therapy.
- Endocrine Testing Center. A state-of-the-art facility, the Mayo Clinic Endocrine Testing Center accurately and safely performs complex hormonal stimulation and suppression tests to define the nature of the pituitary tumor and how well the pituitary gland functions.
Latest diagnostic techniques. In Cushing's syndrome, small pituitary tumors that lead to an excess release of adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) are often too small for detection by traditional magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). Mayo Clinic's high-field, 3-tesla (3-T) MRI provides better viewing of these tumors.
When needed, Mayo Clinic's neuroradiologists are experienced in performing inferior petrosal sinus sampling to help find and identify the tumor. This test involves obtaining a sample from these sinuses, where the pituitary gland drains hormones into the bloodstream, including ACTH.
- Latest treatment procedures. Mayo Clinic was among the first institutions to extensively research an endoscopic through-the-nose (transnasal) surgical tumor removal technique that has now become standard practice. This method is highly successful, reduces discomfort and usually requires only an overnight stay in the hospital.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., ranks No. 1 for diabetes and endocrinology in the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rankings. Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., and Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., are ranked high performing for diabetes and endocrinology by U.S. News & World Report.
Mayo Clinic: Answers you can trust
At Mayo Clinic, we assemble a team of specialists who take the time to listen and thoroughly understand your health issues and concerns. We tailor the care you receive to your personal health care needs. You can trust our specialists to collaborate and offer you the best possible outcomes, safety and service.
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit medical institution that reinvests all earnings into improving medical practice, research and education. We're constantly involved in innovation and medical research, finding solutions to improve your care and quality of life. Your doctor or someone on your medical team is likely involved in research related to your condition.
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care — and trusted answers — like they've never experienced.
Why Choose Mayo Clinic
What Sets Mayo Clinic Apart
May 15, 2015
- Pituitary tumors information page. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/pituitary_tumors/pituitary_tumors.htm. Accessed Aug. 6, 2012.
- Pituitary tumors. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/PituitaryTumors/DetailedGuide/index. Accessed Aug. 6, 2012.
- Pituitary tumors treatment — Health professional version. National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/pituitary/HealthProfessional. Accessed Aug. 6, 2012.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2013: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-08373-7..00002-9&isbn=978-0-323-08373-7&about=true&uniqId=343863096-23. Accessed Aug. 6, 2012.
- Pituitary tumors treatment — Patient version. National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/pituitary/Patient. Accessed Aug. 6, 2012.
- Erickson DX (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 21, 2012.
- Parlodel (prescribing information). East Hanover, NJ: Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation; 2012. http://www.pharma.us.novartis.com/product/pi/pdf/parlodel.pdf. Accessed Nov. 13, 2012.
- Cycloset (prescribing information). San Diego, Calif.: VeroScience, LLC; 2010. http://www.veroscience.com/CyclosetFDAapprovedPackageInsert.htm. Accessed Nov. 13, 2012.
- Cabergoline (prescribing information). Sellersville, Pa.: Teva Pharmaceuticals; 2012. http://www.tevagenerics.com/default.aspx?pageid=3364&sortby=ProductName&ProductName=Cabergoline+Tablets&BrandName=Dostinex%C2%AE+Tablets. Accessed Nov. 13, 2012.
- Martinkova J, et al. Impulse control disorders associated with dopaminergic medication in patients with pituitary adenomas. Clinical Neuropharmacology. 2011;34:179.