ComplicationsBy Mayo Clinic Staff
In both children and adults, pink eye can cause inflammation in the cornea. This can affect vision. Prompt evaluation and treatment by your doctor can reduce the risk of complications.
July 16, 2015
- Jacobs DS. Conjunctivitis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 6, 2015.
- Ferri FF. Conjunctivitis. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2015: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2015. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 15, 2015.
- Pinkeye. U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/pinkeye.html. Accessed May 6, 2015.
- Conjunctivitis summary benchmarks for Preferred Practice Pattern guidelines. American Academy of Ophthalmology. www.aao.org. Accessed May 6, 2015.
- Azari AA, et al. Conjunctivitis: A systematic review of diagnosis and treatment. JAMA. 2013;310:1721.
- AskMayoExpert. Conjunctivitis. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Yanoff M, et al., eds. Conjunctivitis: Infectious and noninfectious. In: Ophthalmology. 4th ed. Edinburgh, U.K.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 6, 2015.
- Conjunctivitis. American Academy of Ophthalmology. www.geteyesmart.org/eyesmart/diseases/pink-eye-conjunctivitis.cfm. Accessed May 19, 2015.
- Conjunctivitis. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. www.cdc.gov/conjunctivitis. Accessed May 19, 2015.
- Robertson DM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 30, 2015