Find out what causes different types of abdominal pain.
Tachycardia, a rapid heart rate, is caused by an abnormality in your heart's electrical impulses. Tachycardia can cause serious complications, including sudden cardiac arrest.
Tests and diagnosis
Genetic testing is used to detect altered genes that may cause illness or disease. Although genetic testing can offer important health information, it has limitations.
Treatments and drugs
May 02, 2014
- Pheochromocytoma. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Health Care Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/endocrine_and_metabolic_disorders/adrenal_disorders/pheochromocytoma.html?qt=pheochromocytoma&alt=sh. Accessed Dec. 4, 2013.
- Pheochromocytoma and paraganglioma treatment (PDQ®): Health professional version. National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/pheochromocytoma/HealthProfessional. Accessed Dec. 3, 2013.
- Chen H, et al. The North American Neuroendocrine Tumor Society consensus guideline for the diagnosis and management of neuroendocrine tumors: Pheochromocytoma, paraganglioma, and medullary thyroid cancer. Pancreas 2010;39:775.
- Young WF, Jr. Paragangliomas: Clinical overview. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 2006;1073:21.
- Avoid food-drug interactions: A guide from the National Consumers League and U.S. Food and Drug Administration. National Consumers League and U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/ResourcesForYou/Consumers/BuyingUsingMedicineSafely/EnsuringSafeUseofMedicine/GeneralUseofMedicine/UCM229033.pdf. Accessed Dec. 5, 2013.
- Grossman E, et al. Drug-induced hypertension: An unappreciated cause of secondary hypertension. The American Journal of Medicine 2012;125:14.
- Joynt KE, et al. Paragangliomas: Etiology, presentation, and management. Cardiology in Review 2009;17:159.
- Multiple endocrine neoplasia type II. National Center for Biotechnology Medicine. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK1257. Accessed Dec. 11, 2013.
- Von Hippel-Landau disease. National Center for Biotechnology Medicine. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK1463. Accessed Dec. 11, 2013.
- Neurofibromatosis 1. National Center for Biotechnology Medicine. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK1109. Accessed Dec. 11, 2013.
- Hereditary paraganglioma-pheochromocytoma syndromes. National Center for Biotechnology Medicine. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK1548. Accessed Dec. 11, 2013.
- Overview of hypertension. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Health Care Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/cardiovascular_disorders/hypertension/overview_of_hypertension.html. Accessed Dec. 4, 2013.
- Jimenez C, et al. Current and future treatments for malignant pheochromocytoma and sympathetic paraganglioma. Current Oncology Reports 2013;15:356.
- High blood pressure—Medicines to help you. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/forconsumers/byaudience/forwomen/ucm118594.htm. Accessed Dec. 10, 2013.
- Nippoldt TB (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 19, 2013.