Phenylketonuria (fen-ul-ke-toe-NU-re-uh), also called PKU, is a rare inherited disorder that causes an amino acid called phenylalanine to build up in your body. PKU is caused by a defect in the gene that helps create the enzyme needed to break down phenylalanine.
Without the enzyme necessary to process phenylalanine, a dangerous buildup can develop when a person with PKU eats foods that are high in protein. This can eventually lead to serious health problems.
For the rest of their lives, people with PKU — babies, children and adults — need to follow a diet that limits phenylalanine, which is found mostly in foods that contain protein.
Babies in the United States and many other countries are screened for PKU soon after birth. Recognizing PKU right away can help prevent major health problems.
Nov. 26, 2014
- Phenylketonuria. Genetics Home Reference. http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition=phenylketonuria. Accessed Oct. 12, 2014.
- Greene CL, et al. National Institutes of Health (NIH) review of evidence in phenylalanine hydroxylase deficiency (phenylketonuria) and recommendations/guidelines for therapy from the American College of Medical Genetics (ACMG) and Genetics Metabolic Dietitians International (GMDI). Molecular Genetics and Metabolism. 2014;112:85.
- Camp KM, et al. Phenylketonuria Scientific Review Conference: State of the science and future research needs. Molecular Genetics and Metabolism. 2014;112:87.
- Ney DM, et al. Advances in the nutritional and pharmacological management of phenylketonuria. Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition and Metabolic Care. 2014;17:61.
- Marcason W. Is there a standard meal plan for phenylketonuria (PKU)? Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. 2014;113:S1.
- Casey L. Caring for children with phenylketonuria. Canadian Family Physician. 2013;59:837.
- About phenylketonuria (PKU). National Human Genome Research Institute. http://www.genome.gov/25020037. Accessed Oct. 12, 2014.
- My PKU binder. National PKU Alliance. http://npkua.org/Education/MyPKUBinder.aspx. Accessed Oct. 21, 2014.
- Zeratsky KA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 5, 2014.
- Gavrilov DK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 10, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.