Learning to live without a limb, especially if you have phantom pain, can be challenging. Depression often accompanies pain. You may find it helpful to talk to a counselor or therapist.
An in-person or online support group can put you in touch with others who know what you're going through. To find support, ask your doctor for a referral, either to a counselor or to a support group.
You also can contact the Amputee Coalition at www.amputee-coalition.org for information on its National Peer Network, which can put you in touch with a variety of support services, including its Peer Visitor Program. This program can connect you with someone who’s been in your place and can talk to you about healing, share his or her experiences and offer advice.
Dec. 03, 2014
- Angarita MA, et al. Pathophysiology and treatment of phantom limb pain. Colombian Journal of Anesthesiology. 2014;42:40.
- Vaso A, et al. Peripheral nervous system origin of phantom limb pain. Pain. 2014;155:1384.
- Niraj S, et al. Phantom limb pain and its psychologic management: A critical review. Pain Management Nursing. 2014;15:349.
- Virani A, et al. Phantom limb pain: A nursing perspective. 2014;29:44.
- Cornish P, et al. Successful peripheral neuromodulation for phantom limb pain. Pain Medicine. In press. Accessed Sept. 15, 2014.
- Virtual reality therapies for phantom limb pain. European Journal of Pain. 2014;18:897.
- Kalapatapu V. Lower extremity amputation. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 15, 2014.
- Benzon HT, et al. Practical Management of Pain. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 16, 2014.
- Alviar MJM, et al. Pharmacologic interventions for treating phantom limb pain. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD006380.pub2/abstract. Accessed Sept. 16, 2014.
- Pain: Hope through research. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/chronic_pain/detail_chronic_pain.htm. Accessed Sept. 16, 2014.
- Acupuncture: What you need to know. National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine. http://nccam.nih.gov/health/acupuncture/introduction. Accessed Sept. 16, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.