Pet allergies are common. However, you're more likely to develop a pet allergy if allergies or asthma runs in your family.
Being exposed to pets at an early age may have an impact on your risk of pet allergies. Some studies have found that children who live with a dog in the first year of life may have better resistance to upper respiratory infections during childhood than kids who don't have a dog at that age.
May. 22, 2013
- Platts-Mills TA. Allergen avoidance in the treatment of asthma and allergic rhinitis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 22, 2013.
- Auerbach PS. Wilderness Medicine. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-1678-8..00062-3&isbn=978-1-4377-1678-8&sid=1411680414&uniqId=403732597-9#4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-1678-8..00062-3--s0040. Accessed Feb. 23, 2013.
- Pet dander. American Lung Association. http://www.lung.org/healthy-air/home/resources/pet-dander-1.html. Accessed Feb. 25, 2013.
- Caubet JC. Allergic triggers in atopic dermatitis. Immunology and Allergy Clinics of North America. 2010;30:289.
- Reisacher WR. Allergy treatment: Environmental control strategies. Otolaryngology Clinics of North America. 2011;44:711.
- Tips to remember: Allergy testing. American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. http://www.aaaai.org/patients/publicedmat/tips/whatisallergytesting.stm. Accessed Feb. 23, 2013.
- AAAAI allergy and asthma drug guide. American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/treatments/drug-guide.aspx. Accessed Feb. 23, 2013.
- Montelukast. Micromedex Healthcare Series. http://www.micromedex.com. Accessed Feb. 25, 2013.
- Is rinsing your sinuses safe? U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm316375.htm. Accessed Feb. 23, 2013.
- Rhinitis. American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/allergies/rhinitis.aspx. Accessed Feb. 23, 2013.
- Pet allergies information. American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. http://www.acaai.org/allergist/allergies/Types/pet-allergies/Pages/default.aspx. Accessed Feb. 25, 2013.
- Bergroth E, et al. Respiratory tract illnesses during the first year of life: Effect of dog and cat contacts. Pediatrics. 2012;130:211.
- Anderson CF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 25, 2013.
- Antihistamines, decongestants, and cold remedies. American Academy of Otolaryngology — Head and Neck Surgery. http://www.entnet.org/HealthInformation/coldRemedies.cfm. Accessed Feb. 26, 2013.
- Li JT (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 4, 2013.