Alcoholism is a physical and psychological dependence on alcohol that can cause serious health and social problems. But treatment can help.
Lying, manipulation and violence without remorse are hallmarks of antisocial personality disorder. Mental health treatment can help reduce some symptoms over time.
Borderline personality disorder is distressing for both those who have it and those around them. With proper treatment, though, life can be more enjoyable.
Cognitive behavioral therapy is one of the most common types of psychotherapy. It focuses on specific issues and goals to improve your life.
A complete blood count can be used to evaluate your overall health, detect a wide range of disorders, or monitor a medical condition or treatment.
Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease is a rare cause of dementia that progresses rapidly once symptoms develop.
Looking for a mental health provider but not sure where to start? Here are tips, questions to ask and issues to consider.
Irresistible urges to repetitively count, check or wash are common obsessive-compulsive disorder symptoms. Treatment can help, so don't let shame hold you back.
Psychotherapy is one way to treat many mental illnesses. See how therapy is used and which type may be best for you.
People with schizoid personality disorder tend to be loners who have trouble expressing themselves and maintaining intimate relationships.
People with schizotypal personalities have few friends, act peculiar and often entertain distorted perceptions of reality.
Understand the warning signs and causes of suicide. You may be able to save a life — possibly your own.
Jan. 31, 2014
- Personality disorders. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.com. Accessed July 5, 2013.
- Hales RE, et al. The American Psychiatric Publishing Textbook of Psychiatry. 5th ed. Washington, D.C.: American Psychiatric Publishing; 2008. http://www.psychiatryonline.com/resourceToc.aspx?resourceID=5. Accessed July 5, 2013.
- Silk KR. Personality disorders. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 3, 2013.
- Staying well when you have a mental health condition. Mental Health America. http://www.nmha.org/go/mental-health-month/staying-well-when-you-have-a-mental-illness. Accessed July 5, 2013.
- Lenzenweger MF. Current status of the scientific study of the personality disorders: An overview of epidemiological, longitudinal, experimental psychopathology, and neurobehavioral perspectives. Journal of the American Psychoanalytic Association. 2010;58:741.
- Personality Disorders. Mental Health America. http://www.nmha.org/go/information/get-info/personality-disorders. Accessed July 5, 2013.
- Skodol A, et al. Approaches to the therapeutic relationship in patients with personality disorders. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 5, 2013.
- Johnson JG, et al. Parenting behaviors associated with development of adaptive and maladaptive offspring personality traits. The Canadian Journal of Psychiatry. 2011;56:447.
- Palmer BA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 27, 2013.
- Hall-Flavin DK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. August 12, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.