Having a personality disorder makes it hard to engage in behavior and activities that may help you feel better. Ask your doctor or therapist how to improve your coping skills and get the support you need.
If your loved one has a personality disorder
If you have a loved one with a personality disorder, work with his or her mental health provider to find out how you can most effectively offer support and encouragement.
You may also benefit from talking with a mental health provider about any distress you experience. A mental health provider can also help you develop boundaries and self-care strategies so that you're able to enjoy and succeed in your own life.
Jan. 31, 2014
- Personality disorders. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.com. Accessed July 5, 2013.
- Hales RE, et al. The American Psychiatric Publishing Textbook of Psychiatry. 5th ed. Washington, D.C.: American Psychiatric Publishing; 2008. http://www.psychiatryonline.com/resourceToc.aspx?resourceID=5. Accessed July 5, 2013.
- Silk KR. Personality disorders. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 3, 2013.
- Staying well when you have a mental health condition. Mental Health America. http://www.nmha.org/go/mental-health-month/staying-well-when-you-have-a-mental-illness. Accessed July 5, 2013.
- Lenzenweger MF. Current status of the scientific study of the personality disorders: An overview of epidemiological, longitudinal, experimental psychopathology, and neurobehavioral perspectives. Journal of the American Psychoanalytic Association. 2010;58:741.
- Personality Disorders. Mental Health America. http://www.nmha.org/go/information/get-info/personality-disorders. Accessed July 5, 2013.
- Skodol A, et al. Approaches to the therapeutic relationship in patients with personality disorders. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 5, 2013.
- Johnson JG, et al. Parenting behaviors associated with development of adaptive and maladaptive offspring personality traits. The Canadian Journal of Psychiatry. 2011;56:447.
- Palmer BA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 27, 2013.
- Hall-Flavin DK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. August 12, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.