Left untreated, peritonitis can extend beyond your peritoneum, where it may cause:
March 31, 2015
- A bloodstream infection (bacteremia).
- An infection throughout your body (sepsis). Sepsis is a rapidly progressing, life-threatening condition that can cause shock and organ failure.
- Long SS, et al. Peritonitis. In: Principles and Practice of Pediatric Infectious Diseases. 4th ed. St. Louis, Mo.: Elsevier Saunders; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 12, 2015.
- Ferri FF. Peritonitis, secondary. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2015: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2015. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 12, 2015.
- Treatment methods for kidney failure: Peritoneal dialysis. National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse (NKUDIC). http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/KUDiseases/pubs/peritoneal/index.aspx. Accessed March 13, 2015.
- Runyon BA. Spontaneous bacterial peritonitis in adults: Treatment and prophylaxis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 12, 2015.
- Acute abdominal pain. The Merck Manual Professional Edition. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/gastrointestinal_disorders/acute_abdomen_and_surgical_gastroenterology/acute_abdominal_pain.html?qt=&sc=&alt=. Accessed March 12, 2015.
- Picco MF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 24, 2015.
- Doherty GM, ed. Peritoneal Cavity. In: Current Diagnosis & Treatment: Surgery. 13th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2010. http://www.accessmedicine.com. Accessed March 13, 2015.
- Goel GA, et al. Increased rate of spontaneous bacterial peritonitis among cirrhotic patients receiving pharmacologic acid suppression. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 2012;10:422.
- Burkart JM, et al. Tunnel and peritoneal catheter exit site infections in continuous peritoneal dialysis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 13, 2015.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.