- Experience. Mayo Clinic doctors have experience diagnosing and treating peripheral nerve tumors. Although peripheral nerve tumors are uncommon, Mayo Clinic doctors treat about 3,600 people each year for these tumors.
- Treatment expertise. For people with benign peripheral nerve tumors, Mayo Clinic surgeons have developed special techniques to remove a tumor without damaging nerves. People with malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumors (MPNSTs) can receive treatment at Mayo Clinic Cancer Center, a National Cancer Institute comprehensive cancer center.
Team approach. Mayo Clinic doctors trained in nervous system conditions (neurologists) and physical medicine and rehabilitation, and surgeons trained in nerve surgery (neurosurgeons), work as a team to diagnose and treat people who have all types of peripheral nerve tumors. Surgeons trained in muscle and skeletal surgery (orthopedic surgeons) and doctors trained in cancer care (medical oncologists) and radiation oncologists also may treat people who have MPNSTs.
Doctors at Mayo Clinic in Minnesota treat children and teenagers who have benign peripheral nerve tumors or who have MPNSTs. At Mayo Clinic in Florida, doctors from Nemours Children's Clinic and from Mayo Clinic work together to provide care for children who have MPNSTs.
- Research leaders. Mayo Clinic doctors have been studying the peripheral nerve and its diseases for more than 40 years in the Peripheral Nerve Research Laboratory.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., ranks No. 1 for neurology and neurosurgery in the U.S. News & World report Best Hospitals rankings. Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., is ranked among the Best Hospitals for heart and heart surgery by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic also ranks among the Best Children's Hospitals in neurology and neurosurgery and for heart and heart surgery.
March 06, 2014
- Gilchrist JM et al. Peripheral nerve tumors. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 10, 2013.
- Brinster NK et al. Dermatopathology: High-Yield Pathology. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 9, 2013.
- Winn HR. Youmans Neurological Surgery. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 16, 2013.
- Riggin EA. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 6, 2013.
- U.S. News & World Report. http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings. Accessed Aug. 26, 2013.