Lifestyle and home remedies
Stressed out? Try meditation. Learn easy, quick techniques that you can use at work, waiting in line or virtually anywhere.
Although the absence of menstruation (amenorrhea) is seldom serious, the condition can often be linked to an underlying problem requiring treatment.
Treatments and drugs
Oct. 21, 2016
- Lentz GM, et al. Menopause and care of the mature women. In: Comprehensive Gynecology. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 18, 2016.
- Casper RF. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of menopause. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 18, 2016.
- McNamara M, et al. In the Clinic. Perimenopause. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2015;162:ITC1.
- AskMayoExpert. Menopausal hormone therapy. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.
- North American Menopause Society. The Menopause Guidebook. 8th ed. Mayfield Heights, Ohio: North American Menopause Society; 2015.
- Menopause and menopause treatments. Office on Women's Health. http://www.womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/menopause-treatment.html. Accessed Aug. 25, 2016.
- Ferri FF. Menopause. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2017. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2017. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 24, 2016.
- Welt CK. Ovarian development and failure (menopause) in normal women. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 18, 2016.
- Zacur HA. Managing an episode of severe or prolonged uterine bleeding. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 30, 2016.
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) Committee on Practice Bulletins — Gynecology. ACOG Practice Bulletin No. 128. Diagnosis of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding in Reproductive-Aged Women. Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2012;120:197.
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) Committee on Practice Bulletins — Gynecology. ACOG Practice Bulletin No. 141. Management of menopausal symptoms. Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2014;123:202.
- Longo DL, et al., eds. The menopause transition and postmenopausal hormone therapy. In: Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 19th ed. New York, N.Y.: McGraw-Hill Education; 2015. http://accessmedicine.com. Accessed Aug. 30, 2016.
- Santen RJ, et al. Menopausal hot flashes. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 30, 2016.
- Leach MJ, et al. Black cohosh (Cimicifuga spp.) for menopausal symptoms. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD007244.pub2/abstract. Accessed Aug. 30, 2016.
- Bedell S, et al. The pros and cons of plant estrogens for menopause. Journal of Steroid Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. 2014;139:225.
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists Committee on Gynecologic Practice and the American Society for Reproductive Medicine Practice Committee. Committee Opinion No. 532: Compounded bioidentical menopausal hormone therapy. Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2012;120:411.
- Sood R, et al. Paced breathing compared with usual breathing for hot flashes. Menopause. 2013;20:179.
- Fisher TE, et al. Lifestyle alterations for the amelioration of hot flashes. Maturitas. 2012;71:217.
- Rosen HN, et al. Overview of the management of osteoporosis in postmenopausal women. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 31, 2016.
- Chen YP, et al. Acupuncture for hot flashes in women with breast cancer: A systematic review. Journal of Cancer Research and Therapeutics. 2016;12:535.