Complications may include:
Constrictive pericarditis. Although uncommon, some people with pericarditis, particularly those with long-term inflammation and chronic recurrences, can develop permanent thickening, scarring and contraction of the pericardium.
In these people, the pericardium loses much of its elasticity and resembles a rigid case that's tight around the heart, which keeps the heart from working properly. This condition is called constrictive pericarditis and often leads to severe swelling of the legs and abdomen, as well as shortness of breath.
Cardiac tamponade. When too much fluid collects in the pericardium, a dangerous condition called cardiac tamponade can develop.
Excess fluid puts pressure on the heart and doesn't allow it to fill properly. That means less blood leaves the heart, which causes a dramatic drop in blood pressure. Cardiac tamponade can be fatal if it isn't promptly treated.
Early diagnosis and treatment of pericarditis usually reduces the risk of the long-term complications.
April 06, 2014
- Shammas NW, et al. Pericarditis, myocarditis, and other cardiomyopathies. Primary Care: Clinics in Office Practice. 2013;40:213.
- What is pericarditis? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/peri/. Accessed Dec. 19, 2013.
- What is pericarditis? American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/More/What-is-Pericarditis_UCM_444931_Article.jsp#. Accessed Dec. 19, 2013.
- Imazio M. Clinical presentation and diagnostic evaluation of acute pericarditis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 19, 2013.
- Acute coronary syndromes. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Health Care Professionals. Accessed Dec. 19, 2013.
- Crawford MH, ed. Current Diagnosis & Treatment: Cardiology. 3rd ed. New York, N.Y.; The McGraw Hill Companies: 2009. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=8. Accessed Dec. 19, 2013.
- Imazio M. Treatment of acute pericarditis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 19, 2013.
- Lilly LS. Treatment of acute and recurrent idiopathic pericarditis. Circulation. 2013;127:1723.
- Imazio M, et al. A randomized trial of colchicines for acute pericarditis. New England Journal of Medicine. 2013;369:1522.
- Khandaker MH, et al. Pericardial disease: Diagnosis and management. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2010;85:572.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.