Anaphylaxis is the most serious type of allergic reaction. It often occurs rapidly after exposure to an allergen and may be life-threatening.
Hives and angioedema — Comprehensive overview covers symptoms, causes, treatment of these common allergic disorders.
Tachycardia, a rapid heart rate, is caused by an abnormality in your heart's electrical impulses. Tachycardia can cause serious complications, including sudden cardiac arrest.
Tests and diagnosis
Itching, sneezing and swelling: Find out what's causing your allergy symptoms.
Nov. 22, 2014
- Romano A, et al. Antibiotic allergies in children and adults: From clinical symptoms to skin testing diagnosis. The Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology in Practice. 2014;2:3.
- Pichichero ME, et al. Penicillin and cephalosporin allergy. Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. 2014;112:404.
- Romano A, et al. Antibiotic allergy. Immunology and Allergy Clinics of North America. 2014;34:489.
- Anaphylaxis. The Merck Manual Professional Edition. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/immunology_allergic_disorders/allergic_autoimmune_and_other_hypersensitivity_disorders/anaphylaxis.html?qt=anaphylaxis&alt=sh. Accessed Aug. 10, 2014.
- Joint Task Force on Practice Parameter. Drug allergy: An updated practice parameter. Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. 2010;105:259.
- Chiriac AM, et al. Drug allergy diagnosis. Immunology and Allergy Clinics of North America. 2014;34:461.
- Beta-lactams. The Merck Manual Professional Edition. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/infectious_diseases/bacteria_and_antibacterial_drugs/β-lactams.html?qt=lactams&alt=sh. Accessed Oct. 6, 2014.
- Adkinson NF, et al. Middleton's Allergy: Principles and Practice. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 22, 2014.
- Drug reactions and drug allergies. American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. http://www.acaai.org/allergist/ALLERGIES/TYPES/DRUG-ALLERGY/Pages/default.aspx. Accessed July 22, 2014.
- Solensky R, et al. Evaluation of antibiotic allergy: The role of skin tests and drug challenges. Current Allergy and Asthma Reports. 2014;14:459.
- Drug hypersensitivity. The Merck Manual Professional Edition. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/immunology_allergic_disorders/allergic_autoimmune_and_other_hypersensitivity_disorders/drug_hypersensitivity.html?qt=drug sensitivity&alt=sh. Accessed July 22, 2104.
- Solensky R. Allergy to penicillins. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 6, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.