Find out what causes different types of abdominal pain.
Fatigue can signal many things. Here are some tips to help you decipher why you're wiped out and to regain your energy.
How well do you know your menstrual cycle? Follow these tips to track your menstrual cycle and identify problems.
Sick to your stomach? Nausea and vomiting usually pass quickly but sometimes result from long-term or serious conditions.
At some point, many women experience painful intercourse — for many different reasons. Here's how to discuss the problem and get treatment.
Tests and diagnosis
A pelvic exam may be done as a part of a routine checkup to evaluate your gynecologic health or to help diagnose a medical condition.
Ultrasound imaging uses high-frequency sound waves to create images of structures in your body.
Urinalysis can be used to assess your overall health, detect a wide range of disorders, or monitor a medical condition or treatment.
May. 01, 2014
- Mitchell C, et al. Pelvic inflammatory disease — Current concepts in pathogenesis, diagnosis and treatment. Infectious Disease Clinics of North America. 2013;27:793.
- Pelvic inflammatory disease fact sheet. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/std/pid/stdfact-pid.htm. Accessed Feb. 6, 2014.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2014: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 6, 2014.
- Klausner JD, et al., Klausner J.D., Hook E.W., III eds. Current Diagnosis & Treatment of Sexually Transmitted Diseases. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2007. http:// http://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com/book.aspx?bookid=369. Accessed Feb. 7, 2014.
- Trent M. Pelvic inflammatory disease. Pediatrics in Review. 2013;34:163.
- Livengood CH, et al. Clinical features and diagnosis of pelvic inflammatory disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 7, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.