Your Mayo Clinic care team
Your multispecialty team of experts may include pediatric hematology/oncology specialists, as well as other pediatric experts in immunodeficiencies and infectious diseases who work together to provide exceptional care for children and support for families. Mayo Eugenio Litta Children's Hospital provides child and family-friendly, state-of-the-art inpatient care.
Advanced diagnosis and treatment
Pediatric hematology specialists at Mayo have extensive experience in diagnosing and treating both common and unusual causes of pediatric white blood cell disorders. Your Mayo Clinic doctors have access to specialized lab tests and may work with immunologists and infectious disease experts to find the best treatment approach. For diagnostic tests that involve radiation, specialists carefully monitor doses to avoid the risk of radiation overexposure.
Nationally recognized expertise
Each year, more than 400 children with pediatric white blood cell disorders receive treatment at Mayo Clinic.
June 13, 2017
- Hoffman R, et al. Neutrophilic leukocytosis, neutropenia, monocytosis, and monocytopenia. In: Hematology: Basic Principles and Practice. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 1, 2017.
- Coates TD. Overview of neutropenia in children and adolescents. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 30, 2017.
- Coates TD. Approach to the patient with neutrophilia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 1, 2017.
- Definition of white blood cell. National Cancer Institute. https://www.cancer.gov/publications/dictionaries/cancer-terms?cdrid=45993. Accessed Feb. 1, 2017.
- AskMayoExpert. Neutropenia. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.
- Lymphocytopenia. Merck Manual Professional Version. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/hematology-and-oncology/leukopenias/lymphocytopenia. Accessed Jan. 31, 2017.
- Monocytopenia. Merck Manual Professional Version. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/hematology-and-oncology/leukopenias/monocytopenia. Accessed Jan. 31, 2017.
- Adkinson NF, et al. Eosinophilia and eosinophil-related disorders. In: Middleton's Allergy: Principles and Practice. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 1, 2017.
- Adkinson NF, et al. Biology of basophils. In: Middleton's Allergy: Principles and Practice. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 1, 2017.
- Riggin EA. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 9, 2017.
Pediatric white blood cell disorders