- Specialists in children's health care. The treatment of brain tumors in children can be very different from treatment in adults. In Mayo Clinic’s Pediatric Brain Tumor Clinic, specialists work together to deliver the most effective treatment for your child. A pediatric neuro-oncologist specializing in brain tumors typically will be your child's primary doctor. This doctor will coordinate access to other specialists from the brain tumor treatment team, including neurology, neurosurgery, neuroradiology, pediatric endocrinology, neuropathology, radiation oncology, pediatric oncology, psychology and brain rehabilitation.
- Experience. Mayo Clinic specialists treat many types of pediatric brain tumors, including the more common types and the rare types. Types of pediatric brain tumors treated at Mayo Clinic include medulloblastoma, primitive neuroectodermal tumors, ependymoma, gliomas, germ cell tumors, infant brain tumors, spinal cord tumors and craniopharyngiomas.
- Expertise. Mayo neurosurgeons have extensive experience in tumor removal in both adults and children. Surgery removes all or part of the tumor while minimizing damage to healthy tissue. Mayo Clinic's expertise in computer-assisted brain surgery allows neurosurgeons to precisely locate tumors and remove them using the safest and least invasive route possible. Brain-mapping techniques, intraoperative MRI and awake brain surgery help surgeons operate without injuring critical areas of the brain.
- Access to clinical trials. Mayo Clinic is a member of the Children's Oncology Group. This large collaboration among hospitals gives children with brain tumors access to clinical trials that offer the latest in treatments for childhood cancers.
- Comprehensive cancer center. Mayo Clinic Cancer Center meets strict standards for a National Cancer Institute comprehensive cancer center, recognizing scientific excellence and a multispecialty approach focused on cancer prevention, diagnosis and treatment.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., ranks #1 for neurology and neurosurgery in the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rankings. Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., is ranked among the Best Hospitals for neurology and neurosurgery, and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., is ranked high performing for neurology and neurosurgery by U.S. News & World Report.
Mayo Clinic: Answers you can trust
At Mayo Clinic, we assemble a team of specialists who take the time to listen and thoroughly understand your health issues and concerns. We tailor the care you receive to your personal health care needs. You can trust our specialists to collaborate and offer you the best possible outcomes, safety and service.
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit medical institution that reinvests all earnings into improving medical practice, research and education. We're constantly involved in innovation and medical research, finding solutions to improve your care and quality of life. Your doctor or someone on your medical team is likely involved in research related to your condition.
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care — and trusted answers — like they've never experienced.
Why Choose Mayo Clinic
What Sets Mayo Clinic Apart
Sep. 26, 2014
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.