If you or your child has pectus excavatum, you might first discuss the matter with your family doctor. He or she may refer you to a doctor who specializes in pediatric or thoracic surgery.
What you can do
You may want to write a list that includes:
- Detailed descriptions of the signs and symptoms
- Information about past medical problems
- Information about medical problems common in your family
- All the medications and dietary supplements you or your child takes
- Questions you want to ask the doctor, including what treatments are available
What to expect from your doctor
Your doctor may ask some of the following questions:
- When did these signs and symptoms begin?
- Have they worsened recently?
- Has anyone else in your family had a similar problem?