- Experience and expertise. Doctors at Mayo Clinic have extensive experience treating children with pectus carinatum, both with bracing and surgery. Hundreds of people with pectus carinatum are evaluated at Mayo Clinic each year.
- Latest treatments. Bracing to help flatten the chest is a relatively new treatment for pectus carinatum. If surgery is needed, Mayo doctors use the latest methods of postoperative pain control to help speed recovery.
- Team approach. At Mayo Clinic, specialists from pulmonary medicine, pediatrics, cardiology, and physical medicine and rehabilitation work with pediatric surgeons to care for children and adults who have pectus carinatum.
Why choose Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., and Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., are ranked among the Best Hospitals for orthopedics by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., is ranked high performing for orthopedics by U.S. News & World Report.
Mayo Clinic: Answers you can trust
At Mayo Clinic, we assemble a team of specialists who take the time to listen and thoroughly understand your health issues and concerns. We tailor the care you receive to your personal health care needs. You can trust our specialists to collaborate and offer you the best possible outcomes, safety and service.
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit medical institution that reinvests all earnings into improving medical practice, research and education. We're constantly involved in innovation and medical research, finding solutions to improve your care and quality of life. Your doctor or someone on your medical team is likely involved in research related to your condition.
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care — and trusted answers — like they've never experienced.
Why Choose Mayo Clinic
What Sets Mayo Clinic Apart
May 16, 2014
- Kliegman RM, et al. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 23, 2014.
- Nuchtern JG, et al. Pectus carinatum. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 23, 2014.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Teens and pectus carinatum. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2010.
- Lee RI, et al. Bracing is an effective therapy for pectus carinatum: Interim results. Journal of Pediatric Surgery. 2013;48:184.
- Desmarais TJ, et al. Pectus carinatum. Current Opinion in Pediatrics. 2013;25:375.
- Zarroug AE (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 8, 2014.
- Golden AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 28, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.