Why choose Mayo ClinicBy Mayo Clinic Staff
- Experience and expertise. Doctors at Mayo Clinic have extensive experience treating children with pectus carinatum, both with bracing and surgery. Hundreds of people with pectus carinatum are evaluated at Mayo Clinic each year.
- Latest treatments. Bracing to help flatten the chest is a relatively new treatment for pectus carinatum. If surgery is needed, Mayo doctors use the latest methods of postoperative pain control to help speed recovery.
- Team approach. At Mayo Clinic, specialists from pulmonary medicine, pediatrics, cardiology, and physical medicine and rehabilitation work with pediatric surgeons to care for children and adults who have pectus carinatum.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., are ranked among the Best Hospitals for orthopedics by U.S. News & World Report.
May 16, 2014
- Kliegman RM, et al. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 23, 2014.
- Nuchtern JG, et al. Pectus carinatum. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 23, 2014.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Teens and pectus carinatum. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2010.
- Lee RI, et al. Bracing is an effective therapy for pectus carinatum: Interim results. Journal of Pediatric Surgery. 2013;48:184.
- Desmarais TJ, et al. Pectus carinatum. Current Opinion in Pediatrics. 2013;25:375.
- Zarroug AE (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 8, 2014.
- Golden AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 28, 2014.