Acne can affect people of all ages. Find out what causes acne and ways to keep breakouts under control.
Find out how a cholesterol test, sometimes called a lipid panel, is done, how to prepare and what the results mean.
Eat more fiber. You've probably heard it before. But do you know why fiber is so good for your health?
Glucose tolerance test — Overview covers definition, preparation, results of this diabetes blood test.
Hirsutism refers to excessive hair growth in women. Possibly a result of elevated male hormones, hirsutism is often caused by an underlying condition.
How well do you know your menstrual cycle? Follow these tips to track your menstrual cycle and identify problems.
A pelvic exam may be done as a part of a routine checkup to evaluate your gynecologic health or to help diagnose a medical condition.
Sep. 03, 2014
- Hoffman BL, et al. Williams Gynecology. 2nd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=768. Accessed June 2, 2014.
- Barbieri RL, et al. Clinical manifestations of polycystic ovary syndrome in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 4, 2014.
- Barbieri RL, et al. Treatment of polycystic ovary syndrome in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 4, 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. What is the initial therapy recommended for polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) fact sheet. Womenshealth.gov. http://www.womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/polycystic-ovary-syndrome.html. Accessed June 4, 2014.
- Sirmans SM, et al. Epidemiology, diagnosis, and management of polycystic ovary syndrome. Clinical Epidemiology. 2014;6:1.
- Legro RS, et al. Diagnosis and treatment of polycystic ovary syndrome: An Endocrine Society clinical practice guideline. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. 2013;98:4565.
- Strauss JF, et al. Yen & Jaffe's Reproductive Endocrinology. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa. Elsevier Saunders; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 11, 2014.
- Gonzalez F. Inflammation in polycystic ovary syndrome: Underpinning of insulin resistance and ovarian dysfunction. Steroids. 2012;77:300.
- Golden AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 25, 2014.
- Coddington CC (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 6, 2014.
- Domecq JP, et al. Lifestyle modification programs in polycystic ovary syndrome: Systematic review and meta-analysis. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. 2013;98:4655.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.