If your knee injury is severe, you might need emergency medical care. Otherwise, you're likely to consult your primary care doctor. He or she may refer you to a doctor who specializes in knee injuries or sports medicine.
What you can do
You might want to write a list that includes:
- Detailed descriptions of your symptoms
- Information about medical problems you've had in the past, including previous knee injuries
- Information about your parents' or siblings' medical histories
- The medications and dietary supplements you take
What to expect from your doctor
Your doctor might ask you questions, including:
- How and when did you injure your knee?
- What, if anything, seems to relieve your pain?
- What, if anything, seems to worsen your pain?