Tests and diagnosis
Cardiac catheterization is used as a test for some heart conditions and as a procedure to treat some types of heart disease. Find out more.
Echocardiogram allows your doctor to see your heart in motion. Here's what you need to know about the test.
July 16, 2015
- Patent foramen ovale (PFO). American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/More/CardiovascularConditionsofChildhood/Patent-Foramen-Ovale-PFO_UCM_469590_Article.jsp. Accessed May 28, 2015.
- Ferri FF. Patent foramen ovale. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2015: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2015. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 28, 2015.
- Hara H. Patent foramen ovale. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 28, 2015.
- Dattilo PB, et al. Patent foramen ovale. Cardiology Clinics. 2013;31:401.
- Kutty S, et al. Patent foramen ovale. The known and the to be known. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2012;59:1665.
- Messe SR, et al. Treatment of atrial septal abnormalities (PFO, ASD, and ASA) for prevention of stroke in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 28, 2015.
- What to expect during echocardiography. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/echo/during. Accessed June 3, 2015.
- How the heart works. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/chd/heartworks. Accessed June 3, 2015.
- Meschia JF, et al. Guidelines for the primary prevention of stroke: A statement for healthcare professionals from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association. Stroke. 2014;45;3754.
- Furie KL, et al. Overview of secondary prevention of ischemic stroke. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 4, 2015.
- Sabate Rotes A, et al. Minimally invasive video-assisted surgical closure of atrial septal defects: A safe approach. World Journal for Pediatric and Congenital Heart Surgery. 2014;5:527.
- Fenster BE, et al. Effectiveness of percutaneous closure of patent foramen ovale for hypoxemia. The American Journal of Cardiology. 2013;112:1258.
- AskMayoExpert. Patent foramen ovale. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Lo TT, et al. Should a patent foramen ovale found incidentally during isolated coronary surgery be closed? Interactive Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery. 2011;12:794.
- Mankad R (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 22, 2015.