Tests and diagnosis
Cardiac catheterization is used as a test for some heart conditions and as a procedure to treat some types of heart disease. Find out more.
July 16, 2015
- Patent foramen ovale (PFO). American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/More/CardiovascularConditionsofChildhood/Patent-Foramen-Ovale-PFO_UCM_469590_Article.jsp. Accessed May 28, 2015.
- Ferri FF. Patent foramen ovale. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2015: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2015. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 28, 2015.
- Hara H. Patent foramen ovale. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 28, 2015.
- Dattilo PB, et al. Patent foramen ovale. Cardiology Clinics. 2013;31:401.
- Kutty S, et al. Patent foramen ovale. The known and the to be known. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2012;59:1665.
- Messe SR, et al. Treatment of atrial septal abnormalities (PFO, ASD, and ASA) for prevention of stroke in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 28, 2015.
- What to expect during echocardiography. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/echo/during. Accessed June 3, 2015.
- How the heart works. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/chd/heartworks. Accessed June 3, 2015.
- Meschia JF, et al. Guidelines for the primary prevention of stroke: A statement for healthcare professionals from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association. Stroke. 2014;45;3754.
- Furie KL, et al. Overview of secondary prevention of ischemic stroke. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 4, 2015.
- Sabate Rotes A, et al. Minimally invasive video-assisted surgical closure of atrial septal defects: A safe approach. World Journal for Pediatric and Congenital Heart Surgery. 2014;5:527.
- Fenster BE, et al. Effectiveness of percutaneous closure of patent foramen ovale for hypoxemia. The American Journal of Cardiology. 2013;112:1258.
- AskMayoExpert. Patent foramen ovale. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Lo TT, et al. Should a patent foramen ovale found incidentally during isolated coronary surgery be closed? Interactive Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery. 2011;12:794.
- Mankad R (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 22, 2015.