A patent foramen ovale is often discovered during imaging tests for other conditions or to look for causes of a stroke.
After a patent foramen ovale has been diagnosed, you'll likely have numerous questions for your doctor. Some questions you may want to ask include:
- What caused this to happen?
- How dangerous is this condition?
- What treatments are available, and which do you recommend?
- What are the risks of a procedure to close the patent foramen ovale?
- I have other health conditions. How can I best manage these conditions together?
- Should activity be restricted in any way?
- Could I have passed this condition on to my child?
- Are there any brochures or other printed material that I can take home with me? What websites do you recommend visiting?