Experience. Mayo Clinic doctors trained in heart conditions (cardiologists), doctors trained in treating children with heart conditions (pediatric cardiologists), doctors trained in heart surgery (cardiovascular surgeons) and others have experience evaluating and treating children and adults with patent ductus arteriosus. Doctors evaluate and treat more than 300 children and adults with patent ductus arteriosus yearly.
Doctors also have experience evaluating and treating other congenital heart diseases in adults and congenital heart defects in children.
- Team approach. Mayo Clinic doctors work together to give you or your child coordinated care.
- Diagnostic tests. Mayo Clinic doctors diagnose patent ductus arteriosus and other congenital heart diseases using several tests, including echocardiogram, electrocardiogram, cardiac catheterization and others.
- Treatment expertise. Mayo Clinic doctors have expertise treating patent ductus arteriosus with many options. Doctors often use a less invasive catheter procedure to treat a PDA. Doctors might use surgery, medication or other options to treat a PDA.
- Congenital heart disease treatment. Mayo Clinic cardiologists and others have experience treating congenital heart diseases, including patent ductus arteriosus. Doctors in the Center for Congenital Heart Disease at Mayo Clinic's campus in Minnesota treat children and adults with congenital heart disease.
- Research. Mayo Clinic doctors study potential diagnostic tests and treatments for patent ductus arteriosus and other congenital heart diseases and conduct clinical trials.
Why choose Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., is ranked among the Best Hospitals for heart and heart surgery by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic also ranks among the Best Children's Hospitals for heart and heart surgery.
Mayo Clinic: Answers you can trust
At Mayo Clinic, we assemble a team of specialists who take the time to listen and thoroughly understand your health issues and concerns. We tailor the care you receive to your personal health care needs. You can trust our specialists to collaborate and offer you the best possible outcomes, safety and service.
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit medical institution that reinvests all earnings into improving medical practice, research and education. We're constantly involved in innovation and medical research, finding solutions to improve your care and quality of life. Your doctor or someone on your medical team is likely involved in research related to your condition.
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care — and trusted answers — like they've never experienced.
Why Choose Mayo Clinic
What Sets Mayo Clinic Apart
Dec. 16, 2014
- What is patent ductus arteriosus? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/pda/. Accessed Oct. 20, 2014.
- Patent ductus arteriosus. The Merck Manual Professional Edition. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/pediatrics/congenital_cardiovascular_anomalies/patent_ductus_arteriosus_pda.html?qt=patent%20ductus%20arteriosus&alt=sh. Accessed Oct. 20, 2014.
- Doyle T, et al. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of patent ductus arteriosus. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 20, 2014.
- Doyle T, et al. Management of patent ductus arteriosus. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 20, 2014.
- Planning for pregnancy. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/preconception/planning.html. Accessed Oct. 22, 2014.
- Riggin EA. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 10, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.