Self-care treatment is aimed primarily at relieving signs and symptoms and easing any discomfort. Make sure you or your child gets plenty of rest and drinks lots of fluids. You can use acetaminophen (Tylenol, others) to relieve temperatures of more than 102 F (39 C) or minor aches and pains. Use caution when giving aspirin to children or teenagers. Though aspirin is approved for use in children older than age 2, children and teenagers recovering from chickenpox or flu-like symptoms should never take aspirin. This is because aspirin has been linked to Reye's syndrome, a rare but potentially life-threatening condition, in such children.
It's impractical and unnecessary to isolate your sick child. You won't know your child has parvovirus infection until the rash appears, and by that time, your child is no longer contagious.
Apr. 12, 2012
- Fifth disease. In: Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2012: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05611-3..C2009-0-38601-8--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-05611-3&uniqId=291436269-101. Accessed Dec. 29, 2011.
- Young NS. Parvovirus. In: Goldman L, et al. Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/191371208-2/0/1492/0.html#. Accessed Dec. 29, 2011.
- Parvovirus B19. American Academy of Pediatrics Red Book Online. http://aapredbook.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/2009/1/3.92?maxtoshow=&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&fulltext=parvovirus&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=0&fdate=1/1/2009&tdate=1/31/2009&resourcetype=HWCIT. Accessed Dec. 29, 2011.
- Parvovirus B19 (Fifth disease). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/respiratory/parvo_b19.htm.Accessed Dec. 29, 2011.
- de Jong EP, et al. Parvovirus B19 infection in pregnancy: New insights and management. Prenatal Diagnosis. 2011;31:419.
- Parvovirus B19 infection and pregnancy. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/respiratory/b19&preg.htm. Accessed Dec. 29, 2011.
- Brown KE. The expanding range of parvoviruses which infect humans. Reviews in Medical Virology. 2010;20:231.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.