Cognitive behavioral therapy is one of the most common types of psychotherapy. It focuses on specific issues and goals to improve your life.
Dizziness has many possible causes. The cause of dizziness may be simple, or dizziness may be a sign of a more serious disorder.
An electrocardiogram (ECG or EKG) is a test that provides valuable clues about your heart health. Here's what you need to know about the test.
Most headaches aren't caused by a serious illness, but some could be a sign of a life-threatening condition.
Stressed out? Try meditation. Learn easy, quick techniques that you can use at work, waiting in line or virtually anywhere.
Curious about mental health? Discover what shapes the definitions of mental health and mental illness.
Psychotherapy is one way to treat many mental illnesses. See how therapy is used and which type may be best for you.
Shortness of breath can be frightening. Most of the time, a heart or lung condition is the cause.
Tachycardia, a rapid heart rate, is caused by an abnormality in your heart's electrical impulses. Tachycardia can cause serious complications, including sudden cardiac arrest.
May. 31, 2012
- Panic attack. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-IV-TR. 4th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2000. http://www.psychiatryonline.com. Accessed March 6, 2012.
- Hales RE, et al. The American Psychiatric Publishing Textbook of Psychiatry. 5th ed. Washington, D.C.: American Psychiatric Association; 2008. Accessed March 7, 2012.
- Panic disorder. National Institute of Mental Health. http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/anxiety-disorders/panic-disorder.shtml. Accessed March 6, 2012.
- Answers to your questions about panic disorder. American Psychological Association. http://www.apa.org/topics/anxiety/panic-disorder.aspx. Accessed March 6, 2012.
- Practice guideline for the treatment of panic disorder, Second edition. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association. http://psychiatryonline.org/content.aspx?bookid=28§ionid=1680635. Accessed March 6, 2012.
- Inositol. National Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Feb. 20, 2012.
- Smits JA, et al. The interplay between physical activity and anxiety sensitivity in fearful responding to carbon dioxide challenge. Psychosomatic Medicine. 2011;6:498.
- Saeed SA, et al. Exercise, yoga and meditation for depressive and anxiety disorders. American Family Physician. 2010;8:981.
- Panic disorders. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-IV-TR. 4th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2000. http://www.psychiatryonline.com. Accessed March 6, 2012.
- Katon W, et al. Panic disorder: Epidemiology, clinical manifestations, and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed March 7, 2012.
- Roy-Byrne PP. Pharmacotherapy for panic disorder. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed March 7, 2012.
- Whiteside SP (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 24, 2012.
- Moore KM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 17, 2012.
- Fluoxetine (Prozac, Prozac Weekly), paroxetine (Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva) and sertraline (Zoloft), alprazolam (Xanax), clonazepam (Klonopin) and lorazepam (Ativan). Micromedex Healthcare Series. http://www.micromedex.com. Accessed March 8, 2012 and May 23, 2012.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.