CausesBy Mayo Clinic Staff
The cause of most pancreatic cysts is unknown. Some cysts are associated with rare illnesses including von Hippel-Lindau disease, a genetic disorder that can affect the pancreas and other organs.
Pseudocysts often follow a bout of a painful condition in which digestive enzymes become prematurely active and irritate the pancreas (pancreatitis). Pseudocysts can also result from injury to the abdomen, such as from a car accident.
Sept. 19, 2015
- Khalid A, et al. Classification of pancreatic cysts. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 4, 2015.
- Khalid A, et al. Pancreatic cystic neoplasms. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 4, 2015.
- Kadiyala V, et al. Endosonography in the diagnosis and management of pancreatic cysts. World Journal of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. 2015;7:213.
- Friedel DM, et al. Pancreatic cystic neoplasms. Southern Medical Journal. 2010;103:51.
- Howell DA, et al. Walled-off pancreatic fluid collections (including pseudocysts). http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 4, 2015.
- Freedman SD, et al. Etiology and pathogenesis of acute pancreatitis in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 5, 2015.
- Khanna AK, et al. Pancreatic pseudocyst: Therapeutic dilemma. International Journal of Inflammation. 2012;2012:1.