Adenomyosis can cause painful, excessive bleeding during menstrual periods. Explore symptoms and treatment.
Bacterial vaginosis — Comprehensive overview covers symptoms, treatments and prevention of this common vaginal infection.
Are you worried you might have chlamydia? Find out how this common sexually transmitted infection is diagnosed and treated.
Endometriosis is a common and often painful disorder in which tissue that normally lines the inside of your uterus grows outside your uterus.
Perimenopause — Comprehensive overview covers symptoms, treatment, self-care of this life transition for women.
Trichomoniasis — Comprehensive overview covers symptoms, causes, treatment of this sexually transmitted infection.
Cervical cancer is a common and often preventable reproductive cancer. Find out what cervical cancer is and how it's treated.
Chronic pelvic pain is pain in your pelvic region — the area below your bellybutton and between your hips — that lasts six months or longer.
Rectovaginal fistula — Comprehensive overview explains treatment of this complication due to childbirth, Crohn's disease, cancer or other causes.
Vaginitis is an irritating inflammation of the vagina often caused by fungi (yeasts), bacteria or parasites. Treatment depends on the type of vaginitis you have.
Vaginal health is too important to ignore. Get the facts about how to keep your vagina healthy.
You don't have to accept vaginal problems as part of getting older. Discover treatment options.
Tests and diagnosis
A pelvic exam may be done as a part of a routine checkup to evaluate your gynecologic health or to help diagnose a medical condition.
Ultrasound imaging uses high-frequency sound waves to create images of structures in your body.
Treatments and drugs
Sex therapy — Overview covers definition, preparation and what to expect from therapy to address sexual issues.
Jan. 25, 2012
- Biggs WS. Sexual pain disorders. In: Rakel RE. Textbook of Family Medicine. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/191205553-4/0/1481/0.html#. Accessed Nov. 18, 2011.
- Lenz G. Emotional Aspects of Gynecology: Sexual function and dysfunction. In: Katz VL, et al. Comprehensive Gynecology. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2007. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-4/0/1524/0.html. Accessed Nov. 18, 2011.
- Kurss DI, et al. Dyspareunia. In: Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2012: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05611-3..C2009-0-38601-8--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-05611-3&uniqId=291436269-101. Accessed Nov. 18, 2011.
- Moore CK. Female sexual function and dysfunction: Diagnosis. In: Wein AJ, et al. Campbell-Walsh Urology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1445/0.html. Accessed Nov. 18, 2011.
- Stewart EG. Causes and treatment of sexual pain in women. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Nov. 18, 2011.
- Stewart EG. Approach to the woman with sexual pain. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Nov. 18, 2011.
- Ask Mayo Expert. What are the treatment options for managing vaginal symptoms of urogenital atrophy in women with a history of breast cancer? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2011.
- Bachmann G, et al. Treatment of vaginal atrophy. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Nov. 18, 2011.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.