Adenomyosis can cause painful, excessive bleeding during menstrual periods. Explore symptoms and treatment.
Bacterial vaginosis — Comprehensive overview covers symptoms, treatments and prevention of this common vaginal infection.
A Bartholin's cyst is a fluid-filled lump near the vaginal opening. It's rarely serious, but when infected, it can be painful.
Are you worried you might have chlamydia? Find out how this common sexually transmitted infection is diagnosed and treated.
Chronic pelvic pain is pain in your pelvic region — the area below your bellybutton and between your hips — that lasts six months or longer.
Endometrial cancer is one of the most common cancers in women. If detected early, this cancer is often successfully treated.
Endometriosis is a common and often painful disorder in which tissue that normally lines the inside of your uterus grows outside your uterus.
Lichen sclerosus is an uncommon skin condition characterized by white, blotchy patches of thinning skin. This skin disease predominantly affects postmenopausal women.
A pelvic exam may be done as a part of a routine checkup to evaluate your gynecologic health or to help diagnose a medical condition.
Perimenopause — Comprehensive overview covers symptoms, treatment, self-care of this life transition for women.
Prolactinoma is a tumor in the pituitary gland that causes overproduction of the hormone prolactin. Too much prolactin can cause infertility or sexual dysfunction.
Rectovaginal fistula — Comprehensive overview explains treatment of this complication due to childbirth, Crohn's disease, cancer or other causes.
Sex therapy — Overview covers definition, preparation and what to expect from therapy to address sexual issues.
Trichomoniasis — Comprehensive overview covers symptoms, causes, treatment of this sexually transmitted infection.
Ultrasound imaging uses high-frequency sound waves to create images of structures in your body.
Vaginal health is too important to ignore. Get the facts about how to keep your vagina healthy.
You don't have to accept vaginal problems as part of getting older. Discover treatment options.
Vaginitis is an irritating inflammation of the vagina often caused by fungi (yeasts), bacteria or parasites. Treatment depends on the type of vaginitis you have.
Jan. 25, 2012
- Biggs WS. Sexual pain disorders. In: Rakel RE. Textbook of Family Medicine. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/191205553-4/0/1481/0.html#. Accessed Nov. 18, 2011.
- Lenz G. Emotional Aspects of Gynecology: Sexual function and dysfunction. In: Katz VL, et al. Comprehensive Gynecology. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2007. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-4/0/1524/0.html. Accessed Nov. 18, 2011.
- Kurss DI, et al. Dyspareunia. In: Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2012: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05611-3..C2009-0-38601-8--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-05611-3&uniqId=291436269-101. Accessed Nov. 18, 2011.
- Moore CK. Female sexual function and dysfunction: Diagnosis. In: Wein AJ, et al. Campbell-Walsh Urology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1445/0.html. Accessed Nov. 18, 2011.
- Stewart EG. Causes and treatment of sexual pain in women. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Nov. 18, 2011.
- Stewart EG. Approach to the woman with sexual pain. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Nov. 18, 2011.
- Ask Mayo Expert. What are the treatment options for managing vaginal symptoms of urogenital atrophy in women with a history of breast cancer? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2011.
- Bachmann G, et al. Treatment of vaginal atrophy. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Nov. 18, 2011.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.