Find out how acupuncture works, who should avoid it and what conditions it can treat.
Biofeedback is a technique in which you use your mind to control your body, possibly helping with relaxation and a variety of health conditions.
Tests and diagnosis
Urinalysis can be used to assess your overall health, detect a wide range of disorders, or monitor a medical condition or treatment.
Treatments and drugs
Sep. 26, 2014
- Marinkovic SP, et al. The management of overactive bladder syndrome. BMJ. 2012;344:e2365.
- South-Paul JE, et al. Current Diagnosis & Treatment in Family Medicine. 3rd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine. mhmedical.com/book.aspx?bookID=377. Accessed July 17, 2014.
- Overactive bladder. American Urological Association. http://www.urologyhealth.org/urology/index.cfm?article=112. Accessed July 17, 2014.
- What I need to know about bladder control for women. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/bcw_ez/. Accessed July 17, 2014.
- Gormley EA, et al. Diagnosis and treatment of overactive bladder (non-neurogenic) in adults: AUA/SUFU guidelines. Journal of Urology. 2012;188:2455.
- Treatment of overactive bladder in women. Rockville, Md.: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. http://www.ahrq.gov/downloads/pub/evidence/pdf/bladder/bladder.pdf. Accessed July 17, 2014.
- DuBeau CE. Approach to women with urinary incontinence. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 17, 2014.
- Urodynamic testing. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/urodynamic/. Accessed July 17, 2014.
- DuBeau CE. Treatment and prevention of urinary incontinence in women. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 17, 2014.
- Wein AJ, et al. Campbell-Walsh Urology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 17, 2014.
- Lightner DJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 29, 2014.
- McGrother CW, et al. Etiology of overactive bladder: A diet and lifestyle model for diabetes and obesity in older women. Neurology and Urodynamics. 2012;31:487.
- Rohrstad M, et al. Onabotulinum toxin A (Botox) in the treatment of neurogenic bladder overactivity. Nephro-Urology Monthly. 2012;4:437.
- Ellsworth PI. The pharmacologic management of idiopathic overactive bladder in primary care. Journal of Family Practice. 2014;63(suppl):S38.
- Cook AJ. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 29, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.