Find out what's behind this life-threatening eating disorder and how to treat it.
Wondering how to keep your bones strong and healthy? Follow these tips to take care of your bones.
Calcium is important for bone health. Although diet is the best way to get calcium, supplements may be an option if your diet falls short.
Choosing the right exercises and performing them correctly can help minimize the effects of osteoporosis. Find out what types of exercises are best.
Concerned about falls? Don't let your fear take over. Take charge with six simple fall-prevention strategies.
Tests and diagnosis
Are you at risk of fractures due to weakened bones caused by osteoporosis? A bone density test will tell.
A CT scan is an imaging test that uses X-rays to produce detailed images of the inside of your body.
Ultrasound imaging uses high-frequency sound waves to create images of structures in your body.
Treatments and drugs
You've opted for osteoporosis treatment, but you still have questions. What drug works best? Are injections safer than pills? Here are the answers.
Jun. 21, 2013
- Osteoporosis: Handout on health. NIH Osteoporosis and Related Bone Diseases National Resource Center. http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Bone/Osteoporosis/osteoporosis_hoh.asp. Accessed March 25, 2013.
- Goldman L, et al. Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/191371208-2/0/1492/0.html#. Accessed March 25, 2013.
- Bope ET, et al. Conn's Current Therapy. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=$eid&isbn=978-1-4557-0295-4&uniqId=398813857-1936. Accessed March 25, 2013.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2013: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-08373-7..00002-9&isbn=978-0-323-08373-7&about=true&uniqId=343863096-23. Accessed March 25, 2013.
- Kennel KA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 26, 2013.
- Rosen HN. Bisphosphonates in the management of osteoporosis in postmenopausal women. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 26, 2013.
- Finkelstein JS. Treatment of osteoporosis in men. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 26, 2013.
- Rosen CJ. Parathyroid hormone therapy for osteoporosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 26, 2013.
- Rosen HN. Denosumab for osteoporosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 26, 2013.
- Calcium. Office of Dietary Supplements. National Institutes of Health. http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Calcium-HealthProfessional. Accessed March 26, 2013.
- Ask Mayo Expert. Vitamin D deficiency. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- Vitamin D. Office of Dietary Supplements. National Institutes of Health. http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminD-HealthProfessional. Accessed March 26, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.