While you may first consult with your family doctor, he or she may refer you to a doctor who specializes in sports medicine or orthopedic surgery.
What you can do
Before your appointment, you may want to write a list that answers the following questions:
- What joint symptoms are you experiencing?
- When did this problem begin?
- Does anything make your symptoms better or worse?
- Have you injured that joint? If so, when did the injury occur?
- Do you play any sports? If so, which ones?
What to expect from your doctor
During the physical exam, your doctor will press on the affected joint, checking for areas of swelling or tenderness. In some cases, you or your doctor may be able to feel a loose fragment floating around inside your joint. Your doctor will also assess the status of other structures around the joint, such as the ligaments.
Your doctor will also ask you to move your joint in a variety of different directions, to see if the joint can move smoothly through its normal range of motion.
Sept. 21, 2012
- Skinner HB, ed. Current Diagnosis & Treatment in Orthopedics. 4th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2006. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=2315794. Accessed Aug. 4, 2012.
- Chambers HG, et al. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons clinical practice guideline on: The diagnosis and treatment of osteochondritic dissecans. Rosemont, Ill.: American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://www.aaos.org/research/guidelines/OCDGuideline.asp. Accessed Aug. 3, 2012.
- Moktassi A, et al. Imaging of osteochondritis dissecans. Orthopedic Clinics of North America. 2012;43:201.
- Greiwe RM, et al. Pediatric sports elbow injuries. Clinics in Sports Medicine. 2010;29:677.
- Knee problems. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Knee_Problems/default.asp#15. Accessed Aug. 4, 2012.
- Vannini F, et al. "One step" treatment of juvenile osteochondritis dissecans in the knee: Clinical results and T2 mapping characterization. Orthopedic Clinics of North America. 2012;43:237.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.