Osteoarthritis symptoms often develop slowly and worsen over time. Signs and symptoms of osteoarthritis include:
- Pain. Your joint may hurt during or after movement.
- Tenderness. Your joint may feel tender when you apply light pressure to it.
- Stiffness. Joint stiffness may be most noticeable when you wake up in the morning or after a period of inactivity.
- Loss of flexibility. You may not be able to move your joint through its full range of motion.
- Grating sensation. You may hear or feel a grating sensation when you use the joint.
- Bone spurs. These extra bits of bone, which feel like hard lumps, may form around the affected joint.
When to see a doctor
If you have joint pain or stiffness that lasts for more than a few weeks, make an appointment with your doctor.
Oct. 09, 2014
- Osteoarthritis. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Osteoarthritis/default.asp. Accessed Aug. 8, 2014.
- Goldman L, et al. Goldman's Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 8, 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. Osteoarthritis. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- Kalunian KC. Risk factors and possible causes of osteoarthritis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 8, 2014.
- Hochberg, MC, et al. American College of Rheumatology 2012 recommendations for the use of nonpharmacologic and pharmacologic therapies in osteoarthritis of the hand, hip and knee. Arthritis Care & Research. 2012;64:465. Accessed Aug. 8, 2014.
- Kalunian KC. Diagnosis and classification of osteoarthritis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 8, 2013.
- Total knee replacement. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00389. Accessed Aug. 8, 2013.
- Lorig K, et al. The Arthritis Helpbook. 6th ed. Cambridge, Mass.:Da Capo Press; 2006.
- Sokolov J, et al. Role of inflammation in the pathogenesis of osteoarthritis: Latest findings and interpretations. Therapeutic Advances in Musculoskeletal Diseases. 2013;5:77.
- Koonce RC, et al. Obesity and osteoarthritis: More than just wear and tear. Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. 2013;21:161. http://www.jaaos.org/content/21/3/161.abstract. Accessed Aug. 9, 2014.
- Lippiello L, et al. Metabolic effects of avocado/soy unsaponifiables on articular chondrocytes. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2008;5:191.
- Maheu E, et al. Randomized, controlled trial of avocado-soybean unsaponifiable (Piascledine) effect on structure modification in hip osteoarthritis: The ERADIAS study. Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases. 2014;73:2.