Lifestyle changes and certain treatments are key to managing pain and disability, but another major component to treatment is your own outlook on life. Your ability to cope despite pain and disability caused by osteoarthritis often determines how much of an impact osteoarthritis will have on your everyday life. Talk to your doctor if you're feeling frustrated. He or she may have ideas about how to cope or refer you to someone who can help.
Oct. 09, 2014
- Osteoarthritis. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Osteoarthritis/default.asp. Accessed Aug. 8, 2014.
- Goldman L, et al. Goldman's Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 8, 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. Osteoarthritis. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- Kalunian KC. Risk factors and possible causes of osteoarthritis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 8, 2014.
- Hochberg, MC, et al. American College of Rheumatology 2012 recommendations for the use of nonpharmacologic and pharmacologic therapies in osteoarthritis of the hand, hip and knee. Arthritis Care & Research. 2012;64:465. Accessed Aug. 8, 2014.
- Kalunian KC. Diagnosis and classification of osteoarthritis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 8, 2013.
- Total knee replacement. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00389. Accessed Aug. 8, 2013.
- Lorig K, et al. The Arthritis Helpbook. 6th ed. Cambridge, Mass.:Da Capo Press; 2006.
- Sokolov J, et al. Role of inflammation in the pathogenesis of osteoarthritis: Latest findings and interpretations. Therapeutic Advances in Musculoskeletal Diseases. 2013;5:77.
- Koonce RC, et al. Obesity and osteoarthritis: More than just wear and tear. Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. 2013;21:161. http://www.jaaos.org/content/21/3/161.abstract. Accessed Aug. 9, 2014.
- Lippiello L, et al. Metabolic effects of avocado/soy unsaponifiables on articular chondrocytes. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2008;5:191.
- Maheu E, et al. Randomized, controlled trial of avocado-soybean unsaponifiable (Piascledine) effect on structure modification in hip osteoarthritis: The ERADIAS study. Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases. 2014;73:2.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.