Diabetes can damage nerves throughout your body — a condition known as diabetic neuropathy. Nerve damage can cause pain, disability and other serious complications.
Dizziness is one of the most common health concerns. However, few cases of dizziness are due to serious conditions.
Tests and diagnosis
You may have a blood pressure test as a part of a routine doctor's appointment or to check for high blood pressure or heart disease.
Echocardiogram allows your doctor to see your heart in motion. Here's what you need to know about the test.
An electrocardiogram (ECG or EKG) is a test that provides valuable clues about your heart health. Here's what you need to know about the test.
A stress test is used to diagnose coronary artery disease and heart arrhythmias, as well as guide treatment of heart disorders.
A tilt table test is used to investigate the cause of fainting (syncope).
May. 13, 2014
- Orthostatic hypotension. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Health Care Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/cardiovascular_disorders/symptoms_of_cardiovascular_disorders/orthostatic_hypotension.html?qt=orthostatic%20hypotension&alt=sh. Accessed Feb. 17, 2014.
- What is hypotension? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/hyp/. Accessed Feb. 17, 2014.
- Kaufmann H, et al. Mechanisms, causes, and evaluation of orthostatic hypotension. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 17, 2014.
- Low blood pressure. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/HighBloodPressure/AboutHighBloodPressure/Low-Blood-Pressure_UCM_301785_Article.jsp. Accessed Feb. 17, 2014.
- Low PA, et al. Management of neurogenic orthostatic hypotension: An update. Lancet Neurology. 2008;7:451.
- What is an electrocardiogram? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/ekg/. Accessed Feb. 24, 2014.
- What is echocardiography? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/echo/. Accessed Feb. 24, 2014.
- Kaufmann H, et al. Treatment of orthostatic and postprandial hypotension. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 17, 2014.
- Figueroa JJ, et al. Preventing and treating orthostatic hypotension: As easy as A, B, C. Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine. 2010;77:298.
- FDA approves Northera to treat neurogenic orthostatic hypotension. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/newsevents/newsroom/pressannouncements/ucm386311.htm. Accessed Feb. 24, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.