Your doctor is likely to start with a physical exam to check for enlarged lymph nodes in your groin and an enlarged testicle on the affected side. Your doctor may also do a rectal examination to check for prostate enlargement or tenderness.
After that, your doctor may recommend:
Sep. 09, 2014
- STI screening. A narrow swab is inserted into the end of your penis to obtain a sample of discharge from your urethra. The sample is checked in the laboratory for gonorrhea and chlamydia.
- Urine test. A sample of your urine is analyzed for abnormalities in appearance, concentration or content.
- Ultrasound. This imaging test may be used to rule out testicular torsion. Ultrasound with color Doppler can determine if the blood flow to your testicles is lower than normal — indicating torsion — or higher than normal, which helps confirm the diagnosis of orchitis.
- Nuclear scan of the testicles. A radioactive tracer is inserted into your bloodstream. The scanner then maps blood flow to your testicles, which can indicate torsion or orchitis.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2015: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2015. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 18, 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. What are the causes or types of scrotal masses? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Wein AJ, et al. Campbell-Walsh Urology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 22, 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. What evaluation and treatment are indicated for orchitis as a cause of pediatric testicular or scrotal pain? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Eyre RC, et al. Evaluation of the acute scrotum in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 18, 2014.
- Schaeffer AJ. Complications of urinary bladder catheters and preventive strategies. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 18, 2014.
- Castle EP (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Phoenix, Ariz. Aug. 13, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.