Oral thrush can usually be diagnosed simply by looking at the lesions, but sometimes a small sample is examined under a microscope to confirm the diagnosis.
In older children or teens who have no identified risk factors, an underlying medical condition may be the cause of oral thrush. If your doctor suspects that's the case, he or she will likely perform a physical exam and recommend certain blood tests to help find the source of the problem.
If thrush is in your esophagus
Thrush that extends into the esophagus can be serious. To help diagnose this condition, your doctor may ask you to have one or both of these tests:
Aug. 12, 2014
- Throat culture. In this procedure, the back of your throat is swabbed with sterile cotton. Then the tissue sample is cultured on a special medium to help determine which bacteria or fungi, if any, are causing your symptoms.
- Endoscopic exam. In this procedure, your doctor examines your esophagus, stomach and upper part of your small intestine (duodenum) using a lighted, flexible tube with a camera on the tip (endoscope).
- Candidiasis. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/fungal/diseases/candidiasis/index.html. Accessed June 9, 2014.
- Clinical practice guidelines for the management of candidiasis: 2009 Update by the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clinical Infectious Diseases. 2009;48:503.
- HIV/AIDS: Oral candidiasis (thrush). Womenshealth.gov. http://www.womenshealth.gov/hiv-aids/opportunistic-infections-and-other-conditions/oral-candidiasis-thrush-and-hiv-aids.html#pubs. Accessed June 9, 2014.
- Oral candidiasis (yeast infection) patient information. American Academy of Oral & Maxillofacial Pathology. http://www.aaomp.org/public/oral-candidiasis.php. Accessed June 9, 2014.
- Vaginal yeast infections — Women's health guide. U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. http://www.publichealth.va.gov/infectiondontpassiton/womens-health-guide/vaginal-yeast-infections.asp. Accessed July 16, 2014.
- Thrush. MouthHealthy. http://www.mouthhealthy.org/en/az-topics/t/thrush. Accessed June 9, 2014.
- Diabetes. MouthHealthy. http://www.mouthhealthy.org/en/az-topics/d/diabetes. Accessed June 9, 2014.
- Is thrush causing my sore nipples? La Leche League International. http://www.llli.org/FAQ/thrush.html. Accessed June 9, 2014.
- Kauffman CA. Treatment of oropharyngeal and esophageal candidiasis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 9, 2014.
- Kauffman CA, et al. Candida infections in children: An overview. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 9, 2014.
- Kauffman CA. Clinical manifestations of oropharyngeal and esophageal candidiasis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 9, 2014.
- Hoecker JL (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 16, 2014.
- Salinas TJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 1, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.