These measures may help reduce your risk of developing candida infections:
Aug. 12, 2014
- Rinse your mouth. If you have to use a corticosteroid inhaler, be sure to rinse your mouth with water or brush your teeth after taking your medication.
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day and floss daily or as often as your dentist recommends.
- Clean your dentures. Clean your dentures daily. Ask your dentist for the best way to clean your type of dentures.
- See your dentist regularly, especially if you have diabetes or wear dentures. Ask your dentist how often you need to be seen.
- Watch what you eat. Try limiting the amount of sugar- and yeast-containing foods you eat. These may encourage the growth of candida.
- Maintain good blood sugar control if you have diabetes. Well-controlled blood sugar can reduce the amount of sugar in your saliva, discouraging the growth of candida.
- Treat any vaginal yeast infections that develop during pregnancy as soon as possible.
- Candidiasis. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/fungal/diseases/candidiasis/index.html. Accessed June 9, 2014.
- Clinical practice guidelines for the management of candidiasis: 2009 Update by the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clinical Infectious Diseases. 2009;48:503.
- HIV/AIDS: Oral candidiasis (thrush). Womenshealth.gov. http://www.womenshealth.gov/hiv-aids/opportunistic-infections-and-other-conditions/oral-candidiasis-thrush-and-hiv-aids.html#pubs. Accessed June 9, 2014.
- Oral candidiasis (yeast infection) patient information. American Academy of Oral & Maxillofacial Pathology. http://www.aaomp.org/public/oral-candidiasis.php. Accessed June 9, 2014.
- Vaginal yeast infections — Women's health guide. U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. http://www.publichealth.va.gov/infectiondontpassiton/womens-health-guide/vaginal-yeast-infections.asp. Accessed July 16, 2014.
- Thrush. MouthHealthy. http://www.mouthhealthy.org/en/az-topics/t/thrush. Accessed June 9, 2014.
- Diabetes. MouthHealthy. http://www.mouthhealthy.org/en/az-topics/d/diabetes. Accessed June 9, 2014.
- Is thrush causing my sore nipples? La Leche League International. http://www.llli.org/FAQ/thrush.html. Accessed June 9, 2014.
- Kauffman CA. Treatment of oropharyngeal and esophageal candidiasis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 9, 2014.
- Kauffman CA, et al. Candida infections in children: An overview. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 9, 2014.
- Kauffman CA. Clinical manifestations of oropharyngeal and esophageal candidiasis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 9, 2014.
- Hoecker JL (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 16, 2014.
- Salinas TJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 1, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.