ComplicationsBy Mayo Clinic Staff
Oral thrush is seldom a problem for healthy children and adults, although the infection may return even after it's been treated. For people with lowered immunity, such as from HIV or cancer, however, thrush can be more serious. Untreated oral thrush can lead to more-serious systemic candida infections.
If you have a suppressed immune system:
Aug. 12, 2014
- Thrush is more likely to spread to other parts of your body, such as your digestive tract, lungs, liver and heart valves
- You may have especially severe symptoms in your mouth or esophagus, which can make eating painful and difficult
- The infection can spread to the intestines, making it difficult to receive adequate nutrition
- Candidiasis. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/fungal/diseases/candidiasis/index.html. Accessed June 9, 2014.
- Clinical practice guidelines for the management of candidiasis: 2009 Update by the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clinical Infectious Diseases. 2009;48:503.
- HIV/AIDS: Oral candidiasis (thrush). Womenshealth.gov. http://www.womenshealth.gov/hiv-aids/opportunistic-infections-and-other-conditions/oral-candidiasis-thrush-and-hiv-aids.html#pubs. Accessed June 9, 2014.
- Oral candidiasis (yeast infection) patient information. American Academy of Oral & Maxillofacial Pathology. http://www.aaomp.org/public/oral-candidiasis.php. Accessed June 9, 2014.
- Vaginal yeast infections — Women's health guide. U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. http://www.publichealth.va.gov/infectiondontpassiton/womens-health-guide/vaginal-yeast-infections.asp. Accessed July 16, 2014.
- Thrush. MouthHealthy. http://www.mouthhealthy.org/en/az-topics/t/thrush. Accessed June 9, 2014.
- Diabetes. MouthHealthy. http://www.mouthhealthy.org/en/az-topics/d/diabetes. Accessed June 9, 2014.
- Is thrush causing my sore nipples? La Leche League International. http://www.llli.org/FAQ/thrush.html. Accessed June 9, 2014.
- Kauffman CA. Treatment of oropharyngeal and esophageal candidiasis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 9, 2014.
- Kauffman CA, et al. Candida infections in children: An overview. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 9, 2014.
- Kauffman CA. Clinical manifestations of oropharyngeal and esophageal candidiasis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 9, 2014.
- Hoecker JL (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 16, 2014.
- Salinas TJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 1, 2014.