- Diagnostic expertise. At Mayo Clinic, testing of tissue samples (biopsy) is done routinely for oral lichen planus. The testing involves special microscopic tests and pathologists with special training in skin diseases (dermatopathologists). Mayo Clinic has the ability to perform complex pathology testing, if needed.
- Experience. Each year, Mayo Clinic doctors diagnose and treat hundreds of people with oral lichen planus.
- Comprehensive care. Lichen planus can affect other mucous membranes, including the esophagus, genital areas and eyes. Mayo Clinic specialists work together to manage any complications of your oral lichen planus.
Mayo Clinic: Answers you can trust
At Mayo Clinic, we assemble a team of specialists who take the time to listen and thoroughly understand your health issues and concerns. We tailor the care you receive to your personal health care needs. You can trust our specialists to collaborate and offer you the best possible outcomes, safety and service.
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit medical institution that reinvests all earnings into improving medical practice, research and education. We're constantly involved in innovation and medical research, finding solutions to improve your care and quality of life. Your doctor or someone on your medical team is likely involved in research related to your condition.
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care — and trusted answers — like they've never experienced.
Why Choose Mayo Clinic
What Sets Mayo Clinic Apart
Mar. 08, 2013
- Lichen planus. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec10/ch116/ch116g.html. Accessed Feb. 4, 2013.
- Patil A, et al. Oral bullous lichen planus: Case report and review of management. Contemporary Clinical Dentistry. 2012;3:344.
- Lehman JS, et al. Lichen planus. International Journal of Dermatology. 2009;48:682.
- Farhi D, et al. Pathophysiology, etiologic factors, and clinical management of oral lichen planus. Part I: Facts and controversies. Clinics in Dermatology. 2010;28:100.
- Brewer JD, et al. Lichen planus and cicatrical conjunctivitis: Disease course and response to therapy of 11 patients. Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology. 2011;25:100.
- Lichen planus. American Academy of Dermatology. http://www.aad.org/skin-conditions/dermatology-a-to-z/lichen-planus/lichen-planus. Accessed Feb. 4, 2013.
- Gibson LE (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 8, 2013.
- Bruce AJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 25, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.