The Department of Otorhinolaryngology has a research program dedicated to advancing treatment for head and neck cancers. Researchers from head and neck surgery, thoracic surgery, radiation oncology, hematology/oncology, immunology and molecular medicine work together to identify and conduct research studies that will most benefit patients.
Read more about head and neck surgery research at Mayo Clinic.
Cancer research is conducted in coordination with the Mayo Clinic Cancer Center. The Mayo Clinic Cancer Center receives funding from the National Cancer Institute and is designated as a comprehensive cancer center — recognition for an institution's scientific excellence and multidisciplinary resources focused on cancer prevention, diagnosis and treatment.
See a list of publications by Mayo Clinic authors on throat cancer on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
Oct. 01, 2015
- Niederhuber JE, et al., eds. Cancer of the head and neck. In: Abeloff's Clinical Oncology. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 9, 2015.
- Flint PW, et al. Malignant tumors of the larynx. In: Cummings Otolaryngology: Head & Neck Surgery. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 9, 2015.
- Head and neck cancers. Fort Washington, Pa.: National Comprehensive Cancer Network. http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp. Accessed Sept. 9, 2015.
- Laryngeal cancer treatment. National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/types/head-and-neck/patient/laryngeal-treatment-pdq. Accessed Sept. 9. 2015.
- Hypopharyngeal cancer treatment. National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/types/head-and-neck/patient/hypopharyngeal-treatment-pdq. Accessed Sept. 9, 2015.
- Oropharyngeal cancer treatment. National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/types/head-and-neck/patient/oropharyngeal-treatment-pdq. Accessed Sept. 9, 2015.
- Langevin SM, et al. Gastric reflux is an independent risk factor for laryngopharyngeal carcinoma. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention. 2013;22:1061.
- AskMayoExpert. Head and neck cancers. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Freedman ND, et al. Fruit and vegetable intake and head and neck cancer risk in a large United States prospective cohort study. International Journal of Cancer. 2008;122:2330.
- Deng GE, et al. Evidence-based clinical practice guidelines for integrative oncology: Complementary therapies and botanicals. Journal of the Society for Integrative Oncology. 2009;7:85.
- HPV vaccines. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/hpv/vaccine.html. Accessed Sept. 9, 2015.
- Cook AJ. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 17, 2015.