Risk factorsBy Mayo Clinic Staff
Factors that can increase your risk of throat cancer include:
Oct. 01, 2015
- Tobacco use, including smoking and chewing tobacco
- Excessive alcohol use
- A virus called human papillomavirus (HPV)
- A diet lacking in fruits and vegetables
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Niederhuber JE, et al., eds. Cancer of the head and neck. In: Abeloff's Clinical Oncology. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 9, 2015.
- Flint PW, et al. Malignant tumors of the larynx. In: Cummings Otolaryngology: Head & Neck Surgery. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 9, 2015.
- Head and neck cancers. Fort Washington, Pa.: National Comprehensive Cancer Network. http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp. Accessed Sept. 9, 2015.
- Laryngeal cancer treatment. National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/types/head-and-neck/patient/laryngeal-treatment-pdq. Accessed Sept. 9. 2015.
- Hypopharyngeal cancer treatment. National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/types/head-and-neck/patient/hypopharyngeal-treatment-pdq. Accessed Sept. 9, 2015.
- Oropharyngeal cancer treatment. National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/types/head-and-neck/patient/oropharyngeal-treatment-pdq. Accessed Sept. 9, 2015.
- Langevin SM, et al. Gastric reflux is an independent risk factor for laryngopharyngeal carcinoma. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention. 2013;22:1061.
- AskMayoExpert. Head and neck cancers. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Freedman ND, et al. Fruit and vegetable intake and head and neck cancer risk in a large United States prospective cohort study. International Journal of Cancer. 2008;122:2330.
- Deng GE, et al. Evidence-based clinical practice guidelines for integrative oncology: Complementary therapies and botanicals. Journal of the Society for Integrative Oncology. 2009;7:85.
- HPV vaccines. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/hpv/vaccine.html. Accessed Sept. 9, 2015.
- Cook AJ. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 17, 2015.